The Lufthansa Business Lounge at Athens airport serves all Lufthansa premium and elite passengers, as well as Star Alliance passengers (the latter may also use the nearby Aegean Business Lounge.) Athens is a relatively minor destination in Lufthansa‘s worldwide network, so the airline operates a single premium boutique lounge, in lieu of the traditional separate Business and Senator Lounges. The local Lufthansa team takes great pride in their lounge offering, and premium customers receive a brochure on the space and amenities at check-in.
Lufthansa Business Lounge design
Renovated late 2016, the Lufthansa Business Lounge at Athens airport features Lufthansa’s signature design, which is remarkably consistent worldwide. Decorated in Earth and neutral tones, the space features a variety of seating arrangements, with dining and cocktail tables, table-top seating, and traditional lounge seating outfitted with power and USB outlets.
The club benefits from windows and thus daylight, though the view on the airport access ramp and parking lot is unremarkable.
The footprint of the space hasn’t changed with the latest renovations. At 275 square meters in total, the lounge is on the small side, and may get busy at peak times. The layout remains somewhat impractical, with the buffet, kitchen and reception desk in the center, and two separate seating areas on either side.
Lufthansa has designated the left area as a Bistro area with dining tables and a wall made of noise-absorbing material. The right area is meant as a smaller, cozier, brighter and quiet seating area with a more limited food selection.
Lufthansa Business Lounge amenities
The Lufthansa Business Lounge at Athens airport is a land of contrasts: it lacks some basic amenities but boasts a superior buffet and beverage selection.
In a glaring omission, though perhaps justified by the lack of real estate, the lounge lacks a bathroom. Public facilities are located nearby, closer to the security checkpoint.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is available. Lufthansa uses T-Mobile, as they do around the world, while other lounge operators rely on the local airport’s network. When we visited, Lufthansa’s Wi-Fi service was slow even though the lounge was deserted. Hopefully that was an anomaly.
The buffet is the crown jewel of the lounge. Breakfast features a selection of juices, Greek yoghurt, warm Bougatsa and cold cuts, while the lunch and dinner selections include hot soups, delicious Greek salads, sandwiches, a selection of hot dishes, and desserts. The spread is beautifully presented and very unique with a Greek twist. The fare is tasty and the selection generous enough for a full meal.
In addition to an espresso machine and a selection of soft drinks, patrons will find a selection of Greek wines including tasty featured wines, beers on tap, a liquor assortment, plus an impressive array of international Bourbon, Scotch and malt whiskeys. The overall selection vastly exceeds our expectations of a Business Lounge.
Other amenities include a few work a selection of newspapers and magazines.
Lufthansa Business Lounge bottom line
The Lufthansa Business Lounge at Athens airport is a small boutique lounge, which trades basic amenities such as a bathroom and ample space for a premium dining experience. Considering that Lufthansa’s hubs are a mere three hours away from Athens, the food and beverage service is remarkable.
Outside peak times, the club is a quiet and an enjoyable place to relax, and a superior alternative to the Aegean Business Lounge. At peak times, the lounge can be busy, but the new layout optimizes the use of the space, with comfortable seating options that cater to both work and relaxation.
You may have access to Lufthansa Business Lounge as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any Star Alliance member airline.
ANA (NH) Adria Airways (JP) Aegean (A3) Air Canada (AC) Air China (CA) Air India (AI) Air New Zealand (NZ) Asiana (OZ) Austrian (OS) Avianca (AV) Brussels Airlines (SN) Copa Airlines (CM) Croatia Airlines (OU) EVA Air (BR) Egyptair (MS) Ethiopian Airlines (ET) LOT Polish Airlines (LO) Lufthansa (LH) SAS (SK) SWISS (LX) Shenzhen Airlines (ZH) Singapore Airlines (SQ) South African Air (SA) TAP Air Portugal (TP) Thai Airways (TG) Turkish Airlines (TK) United (UA)
Lufthansa Business Lounge at Athens - Eleftherios Venizelos International (ATH) welcomes:Guest policy
View detailed access rules at lufthansa.com
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers, departing or arriving on the same day.
- Miles & More HON Circle members, departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air India, Air Malta, Eurowings, Germanwings, Jetblue Airways, Luxair)
- Star Alliance First Class passengers, departing the same day. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Miles & More Senator members departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air India, Air Malta, Eurowings, Germanwings, Jetblue Airways, Luxair).
- Star Alliance Gold passengers, departing on the same day on a Star Alliance flight in any class of service. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Lufthansa and Star Alliance Business Class passengers, departing on the same day on a Lufthansa or Star Alliance flight.
- Lufthansa Premium Economy passengers holding a voucher. (Purchasable lounge access is limited to the Lufthansa Business Class Lounges in Germany, the USA and at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.)
- Lufthansa Frequent Traveller members departing on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air India, Air Malta, Germanwings, Jetblue Airways, Luxair).
- United Club members departing on a Star Alliance flight (no guests)
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Club members departing on a Star Alliance flight (no guests)
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Star Alliance First Class passengers: one guest.
- Miles & More HON Circle members: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Miles & More Senator members: one guest, plus children under the age of 18.
When flying Star Alliance
When flying Star Alliance. Worldwide membership only.