A haven for Star Alliance flyers at Washington Dulles airport — United’s own lounges pale in comparison even though Dulles is one of the airline’s hubs — the Lufthansa Senator lounge is open all day well beyond Lufthansa‘s scheduled flight times, and welcomes all Star Alliance Gold members, even those flying in economy or domestically, in addition to Lufthansa Miles & More Senator members and First Class passengers.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge IAD design
The design of the Lufthansa Senator lounge at Dulles airport will be familiar to Lufthansa’s frequent travelers: fresh and modern, it is typical of “previous generation” lounges, with a slight industrial look, table top seating, comfortable armchairs each equipped with a side table, lamp and power outlet.
Large windows let plenty of natural light in and feature great views of the tarmac.
The space is divided into three areas. By the entrance is the buffet area with a small bar, which also serves as an open business center with high tables suitable for laptop users. Beyond is a traditional seating area. Then, by the window, Lufthansa has cordoned off a private zone for First Class passengers and HON members. The separation feels somewhat tacky and is clearly an after thought but enhances the privacy of Lufthansa’s best customers when the lounge gets busy. Except for the roses and tablecloth, the amenities are exactly the same.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge IAD amenities
The best feature of the Senator Lounge is its vast assortment of quality complimentary food and drinks, including appetizers and salads, hot entrees, desserts, snacks, as well as various German staples such as pretzels. The spread is varied enough for a full meal on the ground, which is convenient for patrons who wish to maximize sleeping time on board, as flights to Frankfurt may be short.
On the drinks front, German beers are on tap, and wines and liquor may be ordered from the bar.
Well appointed shower suites are located in the Business Class lounge one level below. Other amenities include a selection of newspapers and magazines.
Lufthansa passengers may board their aircraft directly from the lounge.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge IAD bottom line
Overall, the Lufthansa Senator Lounge at Washington Dulles airport is solid international business class lounge all around, and an outstanding domestic Star Alliance lounge. As a First Class lounge, it fails to offer a high level of privacy and service, though the dedicated area is comfortable and boasts the best views.
Perhaps the only downside of this facility is that it can become somewhat crowded prior to the departure of Lufthansa’s flights to Europe, and Wi-Fi can be slow as well.
Sandwiches, wrap, meat and cheese
Hot entrees (vegetarian and non-vegetarian)
Desserts, fruit and fruit salad
Snacks and candy
Wide selection of alcoholic beverages. Due to VA laws, beverages are served bar staff members.
You may have access to Lufthansa Senator Lounge as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any Star Alliance member airline.
ANA (NH) Aegean (A3) Air Canada (AC) Air China (CA) Air India (AI) Air New Zealand (NZ) Asiana (OZ) Austrian (OS) Avianca (AV) Brussels Airlines (SN) Copa Airlines (CM) Croatia Airlines (OU) EVA Air (BR) Egyptair (MS) Ethiopian Airlines (ET) LOT Polish Airlines (LO) Lufthansa (LH) SAS (SK) SWISS (LX) Shenzhen Airlines (ZH) Singapore Airlines (SQ) South African Air (SA) TAP Air Portugal (TP) Thai Airways (TG) Turkish Airlines (TK) United (UA)
Lufthansa Senator Lounge at Washington, DC - Dulles International (IAD) welcomes:
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers, departing or arriving on the same day.
- Miles & More HON Circle Members, departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air India, Air Malta, Eurowings, Germanwings, Jetblue Airways, Luxair)
- Star Alliance First Class passengers, departing the same day. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Miles & More Senator members departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air India, Air Malta, Eurowings, Germanwings, Jetblue Airways, Luxair).
- Star Alliance Gold passengers, departing on the same day on a Star Alliance flight in any class of service. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Star Alliance First Class passengers: one guest.
- Miles & More HON Circle members: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Miles & More Senator members: one guest, plus children under the age of 18.
Guests must be departing on a same-day Lufthansa or Star Alliance flight, and must leave the lounge at the same time as the passenger who invited them.