- Complimentary snacks
- Complimentary soft drinks
- Complimentary house wine and beer
- Complimentary liquor
- Air conditioning
- Flight information monitors
- Newspapers and magazines
Located a stone’s throw away from the Qantas gate at the tiny Hobart airport, the Qantas Club is the only airline lounge in Tasmania. The club welcomes Qantas Club members, as well as premium passengers and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members.
Early 2016, the Qantas Club received a minor facelift with the addition of more seats and enhancements to the buffet area.
Qantas Club HBA design
The small, circular-shaped Qantas Club at Hobart airport overlooks the Qantas gate area. The location doesn’t get any more convenient: there’s no need for flight departure monitors; you may watch your plane land, then leave the lounge at the last minute when it’s time to board.
The lounge features and eclectic and sometimes odd furniture arrangement. By the reception desk is a traditional seating area with the airline’s signature red armchairs. Immediately adjacent are clusters of seats around rather impractical tiny low coffee tables. Then, there is a series of tall cocktail tables with stools, and finally, dining tables hugging the windows. The design obviously aims at packing as many seats as possible in a relatively small space, which is understandable as the lounge often gets crowded at peak departure times. Incidentally, given the sparse flight schedule, the club also happens to be eerily quiet in between flights.
Recent renovations haven’t addressed the main flaw of the space, which is the complete lack of power outlets. There are a few plugs along the walls, which are always in high demand, but none otherwise in the center of the lounge.
The club tends to be noisy. The cacophony of the jets outside, conversations, and staff picking up dishes and glasses is amplified by the circular room.
Overall, the Qantas Club at Hobart airport is a simple and lackluster space, but the ample natural light, tall ceilings, and convenient location make for an enjoyable experience when it’s not too busy.
Qantas Club HBA amenities
The Qantas Club at Hobart airport features few amenities overall, with the food and beverage selection as the highlight.
The food spread includes a hot soup, various snacks, and a salad bar. There is also a sandwich press for custom grilled creations. The spread doesn’t quite qualify as a substitute for a meal, but it makes for an enjoyable snack.
The self-serve alcoholic beverage selection is generous, with several red and white wines, beer in a cooler, and a small assortment of liquor and spirits. Soft drinks and an espresso machine are also available.
The lounge used to include a fully-equipped business center with a conference room, but it was dismantled to make room for more seats. All that’s left is a single work desk with a Mac desktop and a printer, which is hilariously located next to a tiny kids’ zone with a carpet and a few toys. The setup might work great for parents who need to work while watching their children. For anybody else, it’s comically impractical.
The tiny bathroom has seen better days, and was of dubious cleanliness when we visited. Patrons should exercise caution when entering as it’s easy to bump into someone in the cramped space.
A selection of newspapers and magazines is also available.
Qantas Club HBA bottom line
The Qantas club at Hobart airport is sometimes perceived as the stepchild of Qantas’ lounge network. The small, somewhat lackluster facility is often noisy and crowded at peak times, lacks power outlets, and the bathrooms are overdue for a renovation. That said, the club delivers on most basics, with comfortable seating, complimentary Wi-Fi, and an enjoyable snack and beverage selection. The club saw minor enhancements early 2016 with additional seats and the addition of a sandwich press. With limited business travel to Tasmania, it’s good that Qantas remains committed to maintaining and operating a club at Hobart airport.
Note that the club closes after the last Qantas departure (typically around 5pm), leaving JetStar customers departing on evening flights with no other alternative than the gate area.
The following is a sample selection. All food and beverages are complimentary.
- Hard boiled eggs and baked eggs
- Seasoned sweet potato fries
- Mini meat pies
You may have access to Qantas Club as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
|American Airlines (AA)||British Airways (BA)||Cathay Pacific (CX)|
|Finnair (AY)||Iberia (IB)||Japan Airlines (JL)|
|Malaysia Airlines (MH)||Qantas (QF)||Qatar Airways (QR)|
|Royal Air Maroc (AT)||Royal Jordanian (RJ)||S7 Airlines (Siberia Airlines) (S7)|
Qantas Club at Hobart (HBA) welcomes:
- Qantas and Emirates First Class passengers connecting to/from a same-day Qantas or Emirates flight (+1 guest)
- Qantas and Emirates Business Class passengers connecting to/from a same-day Qantas or Emirates international flight
- Qantas and Emirates Business Class passengers connecting to/from a same-day Qantas or Emirates international flight (+1 guest for Qantas customers)
- Qantas and Emirates Business Class passengers departing on a same-day Qantas or Emirates domestic flight (+1 guest for Qantas customers)
- Qantas Platinum One and Platinum Frequent Flyer members travelling on any same-day Qantas, Emirates, Jetstar, China Eastern, or oneworld flight (+2 guests)
- Qantas Gold Frequent Flyer members departing on a same-day Qantas, Emirates, Jetstar, China Eastern, or oneworld marketed and operated flight (+1 guest)
- Qantas Club members departing on a same-day Qantas or Jetstar Airlines flight (+1 guest)
- Qantas Club Annual Guest Card holders departing on a same-day Qantas or Jetstar Airlines flight (+1 guest)
- Emirates Platinum and Gold Skyward members departing on a same-day Qantas or Emirates flight, excluding flights to the Americas and South Africa (+1 guest)
- First class passengers departing on a same-day flight operated by a oneworld airline (+1 guest)
- Business class passengers departing on a same-day flight operated by a oneworld airline (no guests)
- oneworld Emerald members (+1 guest)
- oneworld Sapphire members (+1 guest)
- Alaska Lounge members departing on a same-day flight operated by Qantas.
- Alaska MVP Gold members departing on a same-day flight operated by Qantas.
- Alaska MVP Gold 75K members departing on a same-day flight operated by Qantas.
- For connecting passengers, lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
- American Airlines Admirals Club members do not have access unless their ticket or status qualifies.
When departing on an American Airlines operated flight or an American marketed flight operated by Qantas
When flying Qantas