The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at New York/Newark Airport is an oasis of design and service within the otherwise uninspiring Terminal B.
Located immediately behind the B51-B57 security checkpoint, next to the British Airways Galleries Club Lounge, the Clubhouse is the home of Virgin Atlantic‘s Upper Class and Flying Club Gold members in the mornings and evenings. Between noon and 5 PM the lounge opens its doors to members of the popular airport lounge access program Priority Pass.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse EWR design
Creative end edgy designs are in Virgin Atlantic‘s DNA, and the Clubhouse at Newark airport does not disappoint.
Nested on the upper level of Terminal B, right above the Satellite 2 security checkpoint, the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse occupies a compact room on a utilitarian floor with a skylight as the sole source of daylight. The designers have achieved a remarkable feat by transforming the somewhat lackluster space into the terminal’s most remarkable club featuring a creative layout, playful colors, eye-catching shapes and angles, and a unique ambiance.
In typical Virgin Atlantic fashion, the central bar stands as the focal point of the design. It’s an invitation to indulge, but also a smart layout that seamlessly breaks out space by carving out intimate areas at the periphery.
There’s a profusion of seating options and furniture, ranging from traditional to downright cheeky, and perhaps even a tad provocative.
Near the lobby is the more traditional section of the club. Guests will find their choice of lounge seats arranged in a living-room-like setting, as well as tabletop seating along the wall.
Walking around the bar counter-clockwise, the mood becomes more jovial. The TV area sports oversized chairs with colorful pillows, bright red side tables, and thick curtains that dampen noise while creating an intimate feel. In the opposite corner, the eye is drawn to three intimate upholstered pink booths with accent lighting, offering plenty of intimacy. Virgin navigates a fine line between airline club and private club with lighthearted humor.
A few steps further is a booth seating area that accommodates groups and families with more conservative tones.
The adjacent dining area strikes a careful balance between trendy décor and space efficiency. The space accommodates a dozen tables for two, comfortable booths, and additional counter-style seating for solo travelers.
Approaching the lobby is an intimate and playful seating area furnished with couches and a myriad of pillows. It’s a fun place to soak in the VIP ambiance with friends and indulge in a few drinks, or perhaps to catch a bit of shut-eye in a corner at quieter times.
The décor is bold and provocative, but never obnoxious. Background music adds to the ambiance without attracting attention.
The only miss is the relatively limited number of power outlets. And while there’s plenty of solo seating, the design favors couples and groups. At peak times, the lounge does get busy and finding a quiet spot might be a challenge.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse EWR amenities
The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at New York-Newark airport offers a complete line-up of amenities with a few luxurious touches.
In lieu of a traditional buffet, Virgin Atlantic offers complimentary restaurant-style service. Sit anywhere in the dining area and a friendly host will promptly present a menu along with a cocktail list. Highlights include chicken gyoza with soy sauce, smoked blue cheese and organic beetroot flatbread, and baked chocolate mousse. Health-minded patrons will find lighter options including a grilled vegetable salad, a vegetarian pho noodle bowl, and passion fruit sorbet. Service is casual but refined, and the fare is fresh, tasty, and creative.
The ability to enjoy a full dinner on the ground is especially appealing ahead of short flights to London. Guests who wish to maximize sleep onboard are advised to come to the lounge a little early in order to be guaranteed a seat.
A creative selection of cocktails and generous wines pair up nicely with the meal. The bartenders-turned-baristas will also craft a wide variety of espresso drinks upon request.
Between noon and 5 PM, outside Virgin Atlantic departure times, the Clubhouse welcomes Priority Pass members with the same signature service, but a much more streamlined menu. With bar snacks and pasta, the emphasis is on comfort foods, and there are no proteins of any kind. Espresso is also off-limits to Priority Pass members. Still, table service is a nice touch, and wines and Prosecco are complimentary.
Two boldly-decorated shower rooms (one per gender) are outfitted with an accessible rain-shower, a toilet, a sink, and Cowshed bath products and lotions. With only two bathroom stalls per gender, however, guests should expect the occasional line.
Other amenities include a baggage storage area near the lobby, and a selection of newspapers and magazines.
Despite an otherwise impressive range of amenities, the Clubhouse offer few options for business travelers. Wi-Fi is sluggish, especially at peak times, there are few convenient workspaces with power outlets, and the lounge lacks printing facilities. Evidently, the emphasis is on indulgence—work can wait.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse EWR bottom line
The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at New York/Newark airport is a hidden-away gem within Terminal B. The fun and cheeky design strikes the right balances between comfort, privacy, and convenience. The line-up of amenities covers all the essentials for transatlantic travel, including Wi-Fi and showers. But it’s the luxurious extras such as the full-service complimentary restaurant and handcrafted espresso drinks that make the experience memorable.
Outside Virgin Atlantic departure times, the Clubhouse is a haven of peace and privacy, and the best Priority Pass Lounge at Newark airport. While the paired-down food and beverage selection is somewhat unremarkable, the table service and personal attention are a nice touch. Unfortunately, since the B51-B57 section of Satellite B isn’t connected airside to any other terminal and lacks both TSA pre-Check and CLEAR, a visit from Concourses A or C is an unlikely endeavor. If you do choose to make the trek to the Clubhouse, be sure to allow at least 40 minutes to get to your gate.
Virgin Atlantic offers a full-service restaurant with table service. All items are complimentary. The selection is subject to change.
Between 12pm and 5pm
- Soup of the day
- Classic green salad with vinaigrette dressing
- Pasta with marinara or cheddar cheese sauce
- Classic green salad with vinaigrette dressing
- Crudites with ranch dressing
- Fruit cocktail
- Bar snacks: cookies, pop corn, potato chips
- Coffee, tea, soda, ice tea, lemonade
- Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir and sparkling wine
- Beers: Yuengling Laber and Miller Lite
Prior to Virgin Atlantic and Singapore Airlines departures
- Grilled vegetable salad (V) with sesame seeds, chilis and a soy lemon vinaigrette
- Chicken gyoza with soy sauce
- Summer vegetable soup (V), watercress and a herbed sourdough crouton
- Classic green salad (V), lemon dressing and a selection of fresh herbs
- Clubhouse burger, toasted potato bread, beer battered onion rings, marinated plum tomato, lettuce, dill pickle chips and house made remoulade – a grilled mushroom burger is also available (V)
- Crispy breast of chicken Milanese, lemon and caper sauce and wild rocket, with a red onion and parmesan salad
- Vegetarian pho noodle bowl (V)
- Smoked blue cheese and organic beetroot flatbread, roasted hazelnuts
- Beer battered fish and chips with mushy peas, malt vinegar and lemon, fresh herbs, lime, spicy pickled onion and soy seared tofu
- Baked chocolate mousse, fresh seasonal berries and whipped cream
- Crème fraîche cheesecake with a berry compote
- Fruit salad (V), freshly cut local and exotic fruits
- Artisan cheese selection, pear chutney and assorted bread
- Passion fruit sorbet (V)
Champagne and sparkling wine
- Lanson Black Label Champagne, NV, France, 12.5% abv
- Enza Prosecco, NV, Italy, 12% abv
- Cartlidge & Browne Chardonnay, 2013, North Coast California, 13.5% abv
- Brancott Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand, 2014, 13.5%abv
- Hougue Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, 2013, Columbia Valley, Washington, 13.9% abv
- Cono Sur Pinot Noir, 2013, Sonoma County, California, 13.3% abv
- Kourkatis Muscat Samos, NV, Kourtaki, Greece, 15% abv
- New Jersey Beer Co., 1787 Abbey Single Ale, 4.8% abv
- New Jersey Beer Co., Hudson Pale Ale, 5.8% abv
- Earl Grey – Traditional Indian tea with a modern twist, contains caffeine
- Chamomile – Camomile flowers steep a calming, gentle, delicate brew, caffeine free
- Sencha – A fresh, delicate Japanese green tea, low in caffeine
- Citrus Mint – Subtle cool mint infused with bright citrus, caffeine free
Rare Imperial Collection
- Golden Monkey (Yunnan black tea) – Fragrant and full-bodied, rich with notes of malt and apricot
- Tie Guan Yin (Fujian oolong tea) – A smooth infusion with accents of sweet orchid and buttery nectar
- Long Jing (West Lake green tea) – A soft floral fragrance suggesting freshly cut grass and chestnuts
- White Darjeeling (Arya pearl white tea) – A delicate taste and exquisite fragrance with a flowery note of citrus
Over Ice Collection
- White Ginger Pear – A fine white tea with a ginger herbal tisane, low in caffeine
- Raspberry Nectar – Red hibiscus, succulent raspberry and a hint of blackberry, caffeine free
- Blood Orange – Moro sweet blood orange presents a sweet-tart and refreshing tea
- Freshly ground Lavazza coffee as you like it: Americano, latte, cappuccino, espresso
You may have access to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on the following Star Alliance member airlines only.
Air India (AI) Singapore Airlines (SQ)
Access for eligible customers traveling on the following SkyTeam member airlines only.
Virgin Atlantic (VS)
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at New York, NY - Newark Liberty International (EWR) welcomes:
- Virgin Atlantic Upper Class passengers departing on a same-day flight (+1 guest)
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold members departing on a same-day Virgin Atlantic flight (+1 guest)
- Virgin Australia Velocity Platinum and Gold members departing on a same-day flight Virgin Atlantic flight (+1 guest)
- Delta SkyMiles Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members departing on a same-day nonstop flight to the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic (+1 guest)
Get access to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse and 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide with Priority Pass: Save 10%!
- 4.0Based on 19 ReviewsStephen P.2019-06-17 10:30:32I visited in the 12pm-5pm block when it's open to Priority Pass members. It's an interesting approach, where they run it openly as a second-tier club,...Krissia M.2019-05-11 10:57:26So much better than the busy and crowded art and lounge before the security checkpoint. Staff at this clubhouse are attentive and helpful and although they...Anthony S.2019-02-21 11:24:41I like their table ordering service and that there is champagne on offer. However the food selection is quite limited and I am absolutely puzzled by their...Justin T.2018-08-07 16:04:18Definitely one of the best lounges I've been at in quite a while. Tucked away near the Porter/Wow Air gates, the location is a little strange, but it worked...Drew A.2018-06-15 13:24:06It looks like they've changed policies and are no open for all Priority Pass members. A good thing for flyers, as the other lounge in Terminal B gets packed...Debbie H.2015-12-31 16:33:33This is how all holidays should begin...in a bubble of loveliness. I enjoy every bit of the clubhouse experience, from the champagne to the manicure to the...