COVID-19 closure: SAS Lounge is temporarily closed.
- CLOSED TEMPORARILYFood:
- Complimentary snacks
- Complimentary cold buffet
- Complimentary soft drinks
- Complimentary house wine and beer
- Complimentary liquor
- Air conditioning
- Flight information monitors
- Newspapers and magazines
The SAS lounge at New York Newark airport (EWR) is one of the airline’s only two lounges in the US; the other location is at Chicago O’Hare. The club welcomes elite and premium SAS and Star Alliance passengers to SAS’ signature Scandinavian experience.
SAS Lounge EWR design
The airline draws from its Scandinavian roots to offer a light, fresh, almost playful space with clean lines and colorful furniture, hardwood floors throughout, and indoor plants. The ensemble is almost deceptively simple yet has significant character. The layout emphasizes, perhaps to an extreme, communal tables both of the rectangular type and of the SAS signature round type with matching overhead shades. Thankfully, partitions also carve out more secluded and private (albeit darker) spaces.
Overall, the lounge has a fun vibe, but forms occasionally trumps function: some seats aren’t especially comfortable, and while power outlets are reasonably available, they aren’t located at every seat. We also feel the club has passed its prime and could benefit from a refurbishment.
While the space features large windows, they look out to an adjacent international arrivals hallway and a jetway. Ample natural light still flows in, but the views are limited. The designers have mitigated the situation through the use of lightweight white curtains that give the space of homey feel.
SAS Lounge EWR amenities
The buffet, all decked out in the signature SAS décor with “Our food” and “Our wine” banners, is somewhat of a mixed bag.
The drink selection is pretty generous, with an assortment of wines as well as a standard liquor selection. Food wise, things are less thrilling. There is an assortment of crudités, instant noodles, cheese, snacks and various nibbles.
SAS is certainly consistent — the selection is in line with what they offer in Chicago and other non-hub locations, but we can’t help feel that it’s rather paltry for an international lounge, especially in contrast with the impressive spread on display across the hallway at the Lufthansa Business Lounge and Senator Lounge. Then again, maybe the fun of Scandinavian design is the trump card: where else can you experience the thrill of using a circular cheese slicer?
Other amenities include a tiny business center by the buffet, as well as a selection of newspapers and magazines.
SAS Lounge EWR bottom line
Overall, the SAS lounge at New York Newark airport (EWR) is a large, pleasant, but relatively basic lounge. The Scandinavian design is always enjoyable, but the space could benefit from a touch up and additional power outlets. The club delivers on all the basics — comfortable seating, Wi-Fi, and snacks, but it lacks international grade amenities such as real food or showers. With multiple SAS departures and other Star Alliance carriers using the lounge, it can also get rather busy at peak times.
You may have access to SAS Lounge as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any Star Alliance member airline.
ANA (NH) Aegean (A3) Air Canada (AC) Air China (CA) Air India (AI) Air New Zealand (NZ) Asiana (OZ) Austrian (OS) Avianca (AV) Brussels Airlines (SN) Copa Airlines (CM) Croatia Airlines (OU) EGYPTAIR (MS) EVA Air (BR) Ethiopian Airlines (ET) LOT Polish Airlines (LO) Lufthansa (LH) SAS (SK) SWISS (LX) Shenzhen Airlines (ZH) Singapore Airlines (SQ) South African Airways (SA) TAP Air Portugal (TP) Thai Airways (TG) Turkish Airlines (TK) United (UA)
The following passengers have access:
- SAS Plus passengers departing on a same-day flight (no guests)
- SAS Business class passengers departing on a same-day flight (no guests)
- Widerøe, airBaltic (BT), Estonian Air (OV), and Icelandair (FI) Business class passengers departing on a same-day flight (no guests)
- EuroBonus Gold & Diamond members departing on a same-day SAS or Star Alliance flight (+1 guest or up to 4 immediate family members)
- EuroBonus Gold & Diamond members arriving on a same-day transcontinental flight (+1 guest or up to 4 immediate family members)
- EuroBonus Silver members departing on a same-day SAS or Widerøe flight, from July 1st through August 31 and from December 15th through January 15th (+1 guest or up to 4 immediate family members)
- SAS Go passengers for €22/$30 per person if you pay when you check in online or €28/$38 per person if you pay at the airport. Restrictions apply.
- First class passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight (+1 guest)
- Business class passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight (no guests)
- Star Alliance Gold Members departing on a Star Alliance flight (+1 guest)
- United Club members departing on an international Star Alliance flight (no guest)
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Club members departing on an international Star Alliance flight (no guest)
Guests must be departing on a flight operated by SAS or another Star Alliance member. Also, note that due to local regulations arriving passengers may not use this lounge.
When flying Star Alliance.
When flying Star Alliance.
- 2.5Based on 17 ReviewsKat N.2020-03-16 00:48:28We had hours before our next flight and were initially happy to come to this lounge which was practically empty. My mom was brought in a wheelchair and had...E S.2019-07-12 15:07:33This lounge is under construction so they've remodeled a tiny corner and squeezed everyone in. It may be the smallest and least comfortable lounge I've ever...Dominique D.2018-09-23 09:25:13This is an okay lounge..it has a decent amount of space but could use more. The food option seems to be just a hot food and a salad bar and some cookies. It...Kinya L.2018-08-27 03:50:59I disliked this location. It wasn't clean and no seats available because of the mess. The employee on duty was rude to the people there who asked if he can...Kinya L.2018-08-27 03:50:59I disliked this location. It wasn't clean and no seats available because of the mess. The employee on duty was rude to the people there who asked if he can...Vanessa C.2017-08-11 13:26:58I'm underwhelmed by the quality of the lounge and the offerings. Only cold buffet with limited choices. Cheap beer on tap. Cheap design of the lounge. The...Kimberly C.2015-04-15 10:42:51As a Star Alliance Member, I always look for opportunities to use my card and relax at one of the airport lounges. This lounge is a great place to relax...May L.2015-01-03 10:45:49Summary: Slightly better than the Luftansa Lounge. Both work if you have Star Alliance, you can check and figure out the least crowded of the two. The...