- Complimentary cold buffet
- Complimentary hot buffet
- Complimentary soft drinks
- Complimentary full bar
- Air conditioning
- Flight information monitors
- Newspapers and magazines
While the Newark lounges are significantly smaller than the flagship tri-level lounge complex at New York JFK, the investment reflects the importance of New York City in Lufthansa’s global network.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge EWR design
The elegant reception area sets the tone. The design is a true replica of the newest lounges at Frankfurt airport, with clean lines, strong branding, an illuminated desk, and a bouquet of orchids. It’s obvious at the first glance that Lufthansa had to deal with limited real estate, but the designers passed the challenge with flying colors. From the reception area, you’ll make a left into the Senator Lounge which welcomes First Class passengers, Lufthansa’s Miles&More Senator members as well as Star Alliance Gold passengers. Business class customers may use the Business Lounge to the right instead.
As we pointed out above, the décor will be immediately familiar to guests who have visited the latest Lufthansa Senator Lounges in Frankfurt or London. The space is surprisingly small, but it reuses every element of the design. The dominant feature is the central buffet area highlighted by droplet shaped ceiling lights. Immediately adjacent is a dining area with tables for two enhanced by fresh flowers. Behind a partition is a seating area with comfy chairs that each come with a side table, power outlet, and tall, narrow lamps that double as privacy dividers.
The neutral colors and quality materials foster a fresh, modern and cool vibe. There’s even Lufthansa’s signature back-lit picture of forest scenery, although due to space constraints the lounge lacks the individual recliners that typically face it.
A small portion of the dining area is cordoned off for HON members and First Class passengers. We understand the intention, but the whole setup looks awkward — not only does it fail to offer any enhanced privacy, but it somehow draws attention to high value customers. Perhaps ” reserved” signs on a few tables might have been more subtle and elegant.
The window lets natural light in, although there’s not much in terms of views, as the lounge faces a hallway leading to immigration and customs as well as a jetway.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge EWR amenities
What the lounge may lack in size, it makes up in terms of food and beverages. The Lufthansa lounges are the only Star Alliance lounges at Newark to offer hot food — enough or a full meal on the ground. Patrons will enjoy snacks, salads, sandwiches, soups, hot entrees such as roasted chicken and potatoes, desserts, and a fully stocked self-serve bar. Quality china and silverware complement the experience. Flights from New York to Germany might be painfully short, so the option to dine on the ground is welcome if you’d like to maximize sleep time on board.
Bathrooms are available in the adjacent Business Lounge immediately around the reception desk. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, Lufthansa does not offer showers at this location.
Other amenities include newspapers and magazines, as well as a very small business center next to the buffet behind a partition, with a couple cubicles and self-service computers.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge EWR bottom line
The Lufthansa Senator Lounge at New York Newark airport (EWR) is an intimate club with comfortable and cozy seating, a productive work environment, and a great choice of food and beverages. Unfortunately, the lounge fails to cope with peak-time crowds, and lacks showers.
Technically, business class passengers also have access to the far superior United Polaris Lounge, which sports ample real estate, shower suites, and a full-service restaurant; however, the Polaris Lounge is located in the separate Terminal C. If connecting from a United flight, visit the Polaris lounge prior to hopping on the shuttle to Terminal A.
Lufthansa Senator Lounge at New York, NY - Newark Liberty International (EWR) welcomes:
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers departing or arriving on the same day.
- Miles & More HON Circle Members departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air Malta, Eurowings, LATAM Brasil.)
- Star Alliance First Class passengers departing the same day. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Miles & More Senator members departing or arriving on a same-day Lufthansa, Star Alliance or codeshare partner flight (Air Dolomiti, Air Malta, Eurowings, LATAM Brasil.)
- Star Alliance Gold passengers departing on the same day on a Star Alliance flight in any class of service. (Arriving passengers are not eligible unless they have an onwards connection.)
- Eurowings SMART and BEST fare passengers who also hold Miles&More HON or Senator status departing on a same-day flight (no guests.)
- Eurowings passengers who also hold Star Alliance Gold status with United or ANA departing on a same-day flight (no guests.)
- Lufthansa and SWISS First Class passengers: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Star Alliance First Class passengers: one guest.
- Miles & More HON Circle members: one guest, plus spouse or partner, plus children under the age of 18.
- Miles & More Senator members: one guest, plus children under the age of 18.
Guests must be departing on the same flight as the passenger who invited them.
You may have access to Lufthansa Senator Lounge as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any Star Alliance member airline.
|ANA (NH)||Aegean (A3)||Air Canada (AC)|
|Air China (CA)||Air India (AI)||Air New Zealand (NZ)|
|Asiana (OZ)||Austrian (OS)||Avianca (AV)|
|Brussels Airlines (SN)||Copa Airlines (CM)||Croatia Airlines (OU)|
|EGYPTAIR (MS)||EVA Air (BR)||Ethiopian Airlines (ET)|
|LOT Polish Airlines (LO)||Lufthansa (LH)||SAS (SK)|
|SWISS (LX)||Shenzhen Airlines (ZH)||Singapore Airlines (SQ)|
|South African Airways (SA)||TAP Air Portugal (TP)||Thai Airways (TG)|
|Turkish Airlines (TK)||United (UA)|
The following is a sample selection. All food and beverages are complimentary.
- Baby tomato, basil and mozarrella salad
- Roasted corn salad, lime chipotle dressing
- Red quinoa salad with vegetables, curry raisin vinaigrette
- Cucumbers, grape tomatoes, kalamata olives
- Crudite with ranch dressing dip
- Fruit salad
- Horseradish bacon cream
- Black bean hummus
Sandwiches and soups
- BBQ spiced roast beef, cole slaw on pretzel roll
- Grilled lemon chicken salad, roma tomatoes, lettuce on Tuscan roll
- Basil marinated sliced tomato, brie on brioche roll
- Open faced smoked salmon, capers, red onion on pumpernickel bread
- Buffalo chicken wings
- Celery sticks, hot sauce, blue cheese dip
- Baked rigatoni, marinara sauce
- Garlic bread
- White wine poached plum
- Blueberry ricotta parfait
2.5 / 5, based on 23 reviews