- Complimentary snacks
- Complimentary hot buffet
- Complimentary full service restaurant
- Complimentary soft drinks
- Complimentary full bar
- Air conditioning
- Flight information monitors
- Newspapers and magazines
- Private rooms
Located in Concourse C, near gate C17, steps away from the connector to the airport’s transit system, the Polaris Lounge is in the vicinity of United’s international gates, and a 10 minute walk from most domestic gates.
The Polaris Lounge is a business class lounge. It is off-limits to United Club members, MileagePlus elite customers, and Star Alliance Gold status passengers flying in economy. United Club members and Star Alliance Gold passengers can visit one of the four United Club locations near gate C17, gate C7, gate C4, and gate D8, as well as the Lufthansa Business Lounge and Turkish Airlines Lounge in Concourse B.
United Polaris Lounge IAD design
The Polaris Lounge Dulles has the DNA of its siblings at Chicago O’Hare, New-York/Newark, San Francisco, Houston Intercontinental, and Los Angeles airports, but incorporates a number of locally-inspired touches.
United’s frequent flyers will immediately feel at home when they step inside the marble-clad lobby. The striking black-and-white ensemble is a replica of the reception areas at Houston and Newark airports, with a dramatic overhead light sculpture evoking the seven constellations that brings the Polaris brand to life.
At 21,000 square feet, the Polaris Lounge Dulles is generously sized—it’s significantly larger than the Polaris Lounge Houston, but 10,000 square feet shy of the colossal San Francisco location.
The Polaris Lounge décor is casually elegant, modern, and subtly luxurious. The soothing color palette creates a continuum with the décor of United’s new business class cabin, while stardust motifs and elaborate LED star give a nod to the Polaris brand.
The club boasts a plethora of United’s acclaimed “signature suites”, cozy pods equipped with personal lighting, USB and power ports, a coat hook, and a side table. The design offers excellent privacy and in an otherwise mostly open space.
In the “Library”, a homely seating area adorned with original paintings by local artist Maggie O’Neill evoking the capital city, guests can enjoy quiet time or a cocktail in an intimate setting. The artifacts on display evoke both the nation’s capital and far-flung destinations in United’s network.
While the Polaris Lounge Dulles is airy and luminous, views are relatively scarce. The lounge does boast a single large window wall overlooking the runway, and offers great best plane spotting opportunities, but the space is mostly windowless otherwise, save for a few ceiling-level openings.
United Polaris Lounge IAD amenities
The Polaris Lounge at Washington Dulles airport is equipped with its own full kitchen, and guests can look forward to an international selection of both healthy and comfort foods.
Travelers in a rush will find a generous selection of self-service snacks, salads, cold and hot entrees, and desserts.
For guests who wish to linger or enjoy a full meal on a ground and maximize sleep onboard, United offers full restaurant-style dining service. The dramatic Polaris Lounge dining room, secluded behind lattice pocket doors, accommodates 42 patrons in a gorgeous setting.
Highlights of the menu include quinoa samosa cake, braised chicken tagine, a vegetarian ramen bowl, as well as the popular Polaris Burger which is available at all Polaris Lounge locations.
At the bar, Polaris customers will find a vast assortment of craft beers, wines, and creative cocktails. All drinks are complimentary.
The Polaris Lounge is also one of the rare domestic US airline lounges to offer handcrafted espresso drinks, in partnership with Italian brand Illy.
The Polaris Lounge Dulles features six luxurious shower suites outfitted with a rain shower, a toilet, a sink, Saks Fifth Avenue-branded towels, Sunday Riley bath products, slippers—and USB and power ports for those last-minute charging needs.
Curling irons, hair dryers, dental kits, hair straighteners, deodorant, sewing kits, shower caps, and vanity kits are available upon request. Patrons can also have their clothes steamed while showering by simply hanging their garments inside the double door.
Guests who wish to catch up on sleep can reserve one of the two slumber rooms for up to 60 minutes. The sleeping suites feature a day bed, dimming lights, a Saks Fifth Avenue-branded pillow, blankets, slippers, an eye mask, and a white-noise machine. The rooms do not have a door but are located in a quiet and secluded area.
A handful of noise-buffered phone rooms provide a quiet and secluded environment for phone calls and online meetings. The booths are furnished with the essentials: a desk, power outlets, and a comfortable chair.
United Polaris Lounge IAD bottom line
The United Polaris Lounge at Washington Dulles airport is hands-down the best airline club at Washington Dulles airport. The lounge offers premium amenities such as private work spaces, a complimentary full-service restaurant, a full bar, luxurious shower suites, and an elegant library.
The Polaris Lounge has radically transformed the ground experience for United’s international long-haul passengers traveling from or through Dulles airport. It’s well worth arriving at the airport early to enjoy the experience.
For a more in-depth review, read our blog post: FIRST LOOK: The United Polaris Lounge at Washington Dulles airport is a game changer.
United Polaris Lounge at Washington, DC - Dulles International (IAD) welcomes:
- United Polaris first class passengers, within 24 hours of their international flight, at the departing, connecting and destination airports (+1 guest)
- United Polaris business class passengers, within 24 hours of their international flight, at the departing, connecting and destination airports (no guests)
- First Class passengers departing on an international flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (+1 guest)
- Business Class passengers departing on an international operated by a Star Alliance member airline (Canada and Mexico excluded) (no guests)
Note: A same-day boarding pass for an international flight in a premium cabin is required. United Club members, United Club one-time pass holders, and MileagePlus elite members traveling in economy may not use Polaris lounges unless they meet one of the access conditions.
You may have access to United Polaris Lounge as a premium customer of one of the following airlines, or as an elite member of their frequent flyer program. Check the Access rules tab for more details.
Access for eligible customers traveling on any Star Alliance member airline.
|ANA (NH)||Aegean (A3)||Air Canada (AC)|
|Air China (CA)||Air India (AI)||Air New Zealand (NZ)|
|Asiana (OZ)||Austrian (OS)||Avianca (AV)|
|Brussels Airlines (SN)||Copa Airlines (CM)||Croatia Airlines (OU)|
|EGYPTAIR (MS)||EVA Air (BR)||Ethiopian Airlines (ET)|
|LOT Polish Airlines (LO)||Lufthansa (LH)||SAS (SK)|
|SWISS (LX)||Shenzhen Airlines (ZH)||Singapore Airlines (SQ)|
|South African Airways (SA)||TAP Air Portugal (TP)||Thai Airways (TG)|
|Turkish Airlines (TK)||United (UA)|
A la carte dining: Breakfast (until 11 a.m.)
- Steel-cut oatmeal: Dried cranberries, cherries. toasted pumpkin seeds, 100% pure maple syrup
- Greek yogurt and fruit: Organic Greek yogurt, roasted Crown Orchards Honey Crisp apples, house-made granola, local wild honey
- Bakery: Bagel, English muffin or whole grain toast, sweet butter, preserves
- Local beet and apple juice
- Brioche French toast: Grilled figs, pumpkin cream, 100% pure maple syrup
- Omelet your way: Cage-free eggs or egg whites, applewood bacon, smoked ham, turkey sausage, vegetarian sausage, onions, spinach, tomato, roasted vegetables, cheddar Swiss or goat cheese
- “The United” breakfast grain bowl: Toasted farro, home fried potatoes, egg any style, cheddar cheese, creme fraiche, chives
- The IAD breakfast sandwich: Whole grain flatbread, egg white, frittata, avocado, reduced fat Swiss cheese
A la carte dining: Lunch and dinner menu
- Autumn squash soup: Spiced pumpkin seeds, cinnamon cream
- Local arugula and fennel salad: Roasted tomatoes, shaved parmesan, basil vinaigrette
- Quinoa samosa cake: Wilted Swiss chard, tomato chutney
- Cheese Plate: FireFly Farms Black & Blue cheese, multigrain crisps, grilled figs, wildflower honey
- Braised chicken tagine: Chickpeas, tomatoes, apricots, brown rice
- Seared sustainably raised salmon: Sweet potato cake, spinach, lemon chive sauce
- Vegetarian ramen bowl: Ginger broth, shitake mushrooms, bok choy, tofu, toasted sesame
- Polaris signature burger: Beef short rib burger, beefsteak tomato, bibb lettuce, brioche bun, cheddar cheese, Old Bay spiced wedge cut fries
- Beet the Jet Lag: Beet-infused Don Julio, dry curaçao, lime juice, agave, egg white, Spritz Lagavulin, garnished with a beet chip.
- Whiskuiri: George Dickel corn whiskey, lime juice, simple syrup, garnished with popcorn.
- Low Clouds: Tanqueray 10, Fino sherry, citrus juice, simple syrup, club soda, mint garnish.
- Pick Me Up: Smirnoff raspberry vodka, Guinness Nitro, cold brew, Chartreuse, simple syrup, half &half, garnished with mint.
- Island Oasis: Bulleit rye, Myers Rum, Captain Morgan, spiced rum, allspice dram, lime & orange juice, chai vanilla cinnamon syrup, Angostura bitters.
- L’Apero: Ketel One botanicals grapefruit rose, Lillet rose, club soda, garnished with a grapefruit peel
- Old Fashioned: Bulleit Rye, maple syrup, black walnut, bitters, orange peel garnish.
- Panache’: Guinness Blonde, Boylan sparkling lemonade, apple bitters.
- Arigato: Kikori whiskey, Sakurayu tea, lemon, honey, egg white.
- Hella Good: Uncle Nearest whiskey, Hella bitters, Orgeat, lemon juice.
- Everyone’s Mule: Seedlip Grove 42, lime juice, Le Sirop ginger honey syrup, club soda, lime garnish (non-alcoholic.)
- Ritual Gin Alternative: Ritual gin alternative, lemon juice, simple syrup, basil, watermelon (non-alcoholic.)
Liquor and Spirits (click to expand)
- Ketel One
- Grey Goose
- Don Julio
- Casamigos Mezcal
- Tequila Ocho Plata
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Balcones Bourbon
- Crown Royal Reserve
- Redemption Rye
- Makers Mark
- George Dicke
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Balcones Bourbon
- Crown Royal Reserve
- Redemption Rye
- Makers Mark
- George Dicke
Beer (click to expand)
- Revolution Brewing Anti-Hero IPA
- Allagash White
- Anchor Steam
- Lagunitas IPA
- Miller Lite
- Modelo Negra
- Baileys Original Irish Cream
- Grand Marnier
- Pimm’s No. 1
- Coke Zero
- Daily selection of Rishi hot and iced tea
- Daily selection of smoothies
- Diet Coke
- Fresh juices
- illy coffee
- Seagram’s Club Soda
- Sprite Zero
4.5 / 5, based on 4 reviews